The Indian Telecom Industry, comprising operators and manufacturers, Academia and R&D organizations came together to form Telecommunications Standards Development Society, India (TSDSI) on 7 January 2014, as an embodiment of the Govt.’s resolve, expressed in the National Telecom Policy 2012 (NTP 2012), to create an Indian Telecom Standards Development Organization (TSDO), for contributing to next generation telecom standards and drive the eco-system of IP creation in India, formally recognised by the Government.
Who are we?
TSDSI is an autonomous, membership based, standards development organization(SDO) for Telecom/ICT products and services in India. We develop standards for access, back-haul, and infrastructure systems, solutions and services that best meet India specific Telecom/ICT needs, based on research and innovation in India. We work closely with global standards’ bodies to reflect Indian requirements into International telecom/ICT standards. We play an important role in encouraging generation of Indian IPRs in this technology intensive field and get them incorporated into International standards. This in turn promotes indigenous research, product development and manufacturing. Department of Telecommunications & Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Govt. of India are jointly supporting TSDSI as India’s Telecom/ICT SDO.
TSDSI is registered as a not for profit Society, under the Indian Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860.
Government authority letter to establish TSDSI as National Telecom SDO has been prescribed vide Department of Telecommunications Office Memorandum No.18-05/2013-IP dated 30.10.2013.
Our Objectives are:
- Developing, promoting and standardizing India-specific Telecom/ICT requirements and solutions
- Taking Indian requirements to global standards organizations
- Helping create standards based manufacturing expertise in the country
- Providing guidance and leadership to developing countries
TSDSI has a sound IPR policy in place. You can read the policy here – View / Download TSDSI IPR Policy
Our Membership Structure
TSDSI attracts members from all sections of Telecom eco-system of the country.
Representatives of Government Departments also participate in Technical activities of TSDSI.
Key Industry Associations are associate members of TSDSI. We also welcome foreign companies and industry associations, especially those from emerging economies, to join TSDSI to bring the perspectives of their geographies.
- Follow a consensus-based approach, enforcing a methodical and transparent, open-to-all-members (Industry, Government and Academia) process while generating standards.
- Adhere to the principles of Openness, Transparency, Fairness, Consensus and due Process in conducting its activities.
- Maintain technology neutrality and provide a uniform playing field for its members.
- Represent the views of our members to DoT and other Government bodies on matters concerning policy, regulatory and standardization issues in the field of telecom.